« Passing Fancy, 1933 | Main | NYFF: Shochiku Sidebar »

August 17, 2005

2005 New York Film Festival Line-Up

The slate of films for the 2005 New York Film Festival has been posted and the selections are more promising than I've seen in the past two or three years, especially when combined with the Shochiku sidebar program.

I'm planning to order tickets for:

Cache (Michael Haneke)
Breakfast on Pluto (Neil Jordan)
L'Enfant (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)
Regular Lovers (Philippe Garrel)
The Sun (Aleksandr Sokurov)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Park Chan-wook)
A Tale of Cinema (Hong Sang-soo)
Three Times (Hou Hsiao-hsien)
Who's Camus Anyway? (Mitsuo Yanagimachi)

It looks as though I'll be able to catch Views from the Avant-Garde this year as well.

Posted by acquarello on Aug 17, 2005 | | Filed under 2005, Quick Notes

Comments

Hey Acquarello~
How does the Czech film strike you? (It's also at TIFF).
Also, the 65-minute French film?
The last thing I saw by Jordan was The Butcher Boy, which I remember liking quite a bit. I haven't seen the Melville remake he did.

Posted by: girish on Aug 18, 2005 9:59 PM | Permalink

I'm neutral on the Kedzierzawska film. I've seen her The Devils, the Devils and The Crows and they're both very striking, atmospheric pieces, something along the lines of Erice's Spirit of the Beehive or Zvyagintsev's The Return without the loaded symbolism. Beyond the look of the films though, there wasn't much else for me. I'll watch it if it plays in the week that I'm there. I haven't seen a Civeyrac film so I don't know to expect. He seems to have a good reputation though...and the time is just short enough not to be completely wasted if it's bad. ;)

Posted by: acquarello on Aug 19, 2005 8:28 AM | Permalink

Heh Heh. I asked about the Czech film ("Something Like Happiness"), not the Polish film. :-)

And you know, the Romanian film (Mr. Lazarescu) is one of the strongest reviewed films of the year so far (in the alt/cinephile press), so I'm planning to defintely see that even though it's a bit long.

Posted by: girish on Aug 19, 2005 12:12 PM | Permalink

Doh! Hmm...I haven't seen Bohdan Slama's other films and unfortunately, I don't know much about Czech films beyond the new wave. :( Maybe you can tell me if it's worth seeing since it plays TIFF first. ;)

As much as I want to see the new Haneke, I'm thinking that I may shift to Week#1 if the line-up ends up being stronger. I can't tell from the alphabetical listing which film ends up on which week, but I'll try to work around the Lazarescu film as well. Gosho's Woman of the Mist is one of my holy grails though so I'm definitely working around that. My priorities would be the Dardenne, Sokurov, and Garrel. If they end up on the polar ends of the fortnight, I'll make two extended weekend trips to NY instead (and forgo some of the Shochiku).

Posted by: acquarello on Aug 19, 2005 12:58 PM | Permalink

Yes, I'll report to you from TIFF. Even if I don't blog about too many films, I'll drop you an e-mail letting you know what the five of us liked the best.

Posted by: girish on Aug 19, 2005 2:38 PM | Permalink

Acquarello,

You mentioned Heinosuke Gosho's _Woman of the Mist_, I didn't see this slated for the NYFF nor did I find it on IMDB. Am I missing something?

Cubie

Posted by: Cubie on Aug 20, 2005 3:00 PM | Permalink

Acquarello

Shochiku Sidebar, sorry. I see.

Qb

Posted by: Cubie on Aug 20, 2005 3:05 PM | Permalink

Oh, that's right, I posted them separately. :) I found the IMDb entry, but it doesn't help much. There's a chapter in Reframing Japanese Cinema devoted to the film, which is one of the reasons that I'm really eager to see it.

Posted by: acquarello on Aug 20, 2005 3:17 PM | Permalink

The Views from the Avant-Garde program has been posted at filmlinc, and the new Straub/Huillet film, A Trip to the Louvre is screening. Two Apichatpong Weerasethakul short films are also on tap: Program 4 - The Relentless Fury of the Pounding Waves) and Program 8 - Windows (which also featured Peter Tscherkassky's Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine.

Posted by: acquarello on Aug 25, 2005 8:51 AM | Permalink