« Naked Island UK DVD | Main | Sakura-tai Chiru, 1988 »

July 21, 2005

Girish's Music Meme Non-Tag

Girish picked up the ball on an ongoing music meme, so I thought I'd join in on it too.

• 1. Total volume of music files on your computer.
  • Not a lot, about 500 MB. I'm not as voracious about buying music as I used to be.
  • 2. The title and artist of the last CD you bought.
  • The Blue Nile, High

The Blue Nile only releases an album every 7-8 years, and somehow, I missed this one. I just found out recently that this was released last year.

• 3. Song playing right now.
  • Xavier Cugat, Sway (actually, it's the entire The Best of Xavier Cugat and His Orchestra CD). I was inspired to pick this up by the music from Wong Kar-wai's voluptuous 2046.
  • 4. Five songs you have been listening to of late (or all-time favorites, or particularly personally meaningful songs).
  • All time favorites (which are interchangeable with personally meaningful for me):
    Railwayed - Kitchens of Distinction
    Let's Go Out Tonight - The Blue Nile
    China - Tori Amos
    Pleasure and Pain - The Chameleons
    Dreams Never End - New Order
  • 5. Tag Five People.
  • For the same reasons are Girish, I'm putting out a "non-tag" too. No virtual pressure.

Posted by acquarello on Jul 21, 2005 | | Filed under 2005, Quick Notes

Comments

If this is your first music-related post ever, and if I have been responsible in some way for it, I consider it an honor! (not to mention I'm diggin' it wholesale).
btw, How's the Blue Nile album? I didn't know they had a new one out. I literally wore out "Hats"; what a sublime, moody record.

Posted by: girish on Jul 21, 2005 1:27 PM | Permalink

The odd coincidence was, when I was redesigning the site (to the grey theme that it is now) and iTunes had just been launched for the mac, I was thinking about adding an "On my iTunes" on the "About" section. Then I noticed that Darren had a "Song of the Moment" sidebar, so I didn't want to look as though I stole the idea from him and nixed it. :)

I'm actually a recovering hardcore and opera (particularly German) nut, now listening to a lot of electronica, so I'm not that plugged in to everything that's out there.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only Blue Nile fan who completely missed the release of this album either. :) I really like She Saw the World and Stay Close a lot, but the album isn't in the caliber of masterpiece as A Walk Across Across the Rooftops or Hats, although it is more atmospherically woven than Peace at Last. I'm guessing that it will grow on me more though, like Hats which, at the time, seemed so much slower than the first album that at first, I put it away and it was only about a year later that I listened to it again and realized how good it was.

Posted by: acquarello on Jul 21, 2005 2:57 PM | Permalink

Clarification: did you mean hardcore *and* opera nut or hardcore opera nut? If the former, what bands?
And electronica (which I like a lot), any artists you favor?
The iTunes radio stations have turned me on to a lot of electronica that I didn't know existed.
One thing I miss about Europe: the beaucoup electronica on the radio.
And I know they're past their prime, but I'm a huge fan of the Chemical Brothers mid-to-late 90s albums (dig your own hole, exit planet dust).
I like your "on my iTunes" idea! I'm sure Darren won't mind. :-)

Posted by: girish on Jul 21, 2005 3:52 PM | Permalink

Umm...yeah, hardcore and German opera. :) I think my favorite was Rudimentary Peni, but I was a fan of a lot of the Crass label bands too, like Flux of Pink Indians, The Mob, Poison Girls, Zounds, and of course, Crass. I was also big on Subhumans, Discharge, Minor Threat, early Beastie Boys (when Kate Schellenbach was a Beastie Boy and they were still hardcore, not rap).

My electronica taste runs in the Tiƫsto to John Digweed range (ideal driving music), not too ambient, not too dance pop, stuff like Juno Reactor, Orbital, Blank and Jones, and Future Sound of London.

Posted by: acquarello on Jul 21, 2005 4:25 PM | Permalink

You're clearly a hardcore connoisseur. I don't recognize any of the hardcore bands except Minor Threat and the Beasties (and I only know their hip-hop stuff).

Posted by: girish on Jul 21, 2005 4:53 PM | Permalink

Heheh! The four-piece Beasties didn't last long, just one EP (Pollywog Stew). The Crass label bands weren't hardcore per se, more like post-Pistols punk, and Discharge is more like Oi!, but there was a lot of cross-pollination in the NYHC scene. Black Flag was big there too (pre-beefy Henry Rollins), but I guess, I preferred to listen to angst from overseas. :)

Posted by: acquarello on Jul 21, 2005 9:59 PM | Permalink

With the number of great mp3 blogs out there now, my Song of the Moment is hardly an original idea. I'd love to know what tunes are playing in Acquarello Land. ;)

I've never found much pleasure in listening to hardcore music. The live shows are probably great, but I never get the urge to sit and listen to music like that. The closest I get is probably the pop-ier versions of punk, like The Clash and The Jam. In general, meldody is my main connecting point to music.

Posted by: Darren on Jul 23, 2005 11:13 AM | Permalink

wow, that totally suprises me; someone else who knows about the beastie boys pre-hip-hop. so kick ass... and german opera too eh? so because you like german opera, does that mean you can speak german as well? if so, write back in german, that'd be cool.

as for live shows of hardcore, no, they are not great; they are spectacular! I can't think of a hardcore show where I havn't wanted to get into the pit and hit someone and show off my stuff. . . Of course there is always the idiot kid who says, "hey, a band is playing at the launchpad (local venue), lets go check it out fool. . ." and then they get upset if they get hit. that's what a hardcore pit is about, punching, kicking, a release of energy in it's
most physical form.

If you ever want to hear some good hardcore, check out some bands like these: Blood for Blood, The Black Dalhai Murder, Between the Buried and Me, or Bury Your Dead

(go figure, blood and death. . .)

Posted by: Tokatch on Sep 07, 2005 3:14 AM | Permalink

Nah, I don't speak German, but the librettos are at least bilingual so you just try to get the gist of it and let the music speak for itself.

Speaking of melody, there were actually some hardcore bands that had what I would consider as having pretty complex, melodic guitars like Adrenalin O.D. and The Fiends. It was still loud fast rules, but certainly more than just noise (Rudimentary Peni had pretty complex arrangements too). And I agree about shows, I don't think I've ever bought a record or tape of a band without seeing them at a show first. ...Ah, the matinees at CBs...that does bring back memories. >:)

Posted by: acquarello on Sep 07, 2005 8:24 AM | Permalink